Monday, April 20, 2009

Land Navigation

I'm sure you were all watching the news to see if there was a story of a Sailor trying to be a Soldier and missing somewhere in the Washington State Mountains. Well, I made it out. So if you do see that on the news, don't fret, its not me. Started out the morning in a classroom learning how to read these maps and magnetic direction, grid direction etc. Its actually rather complicated. Its nothing like the maps I'm used to seeing. The first part of the outdoors portion we had to find a location using only a map, and the second portion we had to find 2 locations with only a compass using the Azimuth technique. I'm not even going to even try to explain it. You can click on the word azimuth if you really, really, really wanna know.

So anywho, I made it to my locations, I did get a little lost. Actually I was going in the right direction and didn't trust myself and went a little off my track. I was also one of the last people to finish, but I finished.

A few of you had asked if my uniforms fit. Yeah, they do fit, although today was my first day wearing the complete uniform with the boots. Walking in the woods 3 miles in brand new boots didn't go over too well. I've a got a pair of nasty blisters on my heels. So I'm not quite sure if there not a good fit or it was just the fact that they were new.

No comments:

Post a Comment