Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hurry up and Wait

Monday was our first actual day of training. It consisted of mostly administrative stuff and gear issue. We would rush from one place to the other spending hours in between in formation just waiting to be whisked away to the next evolution. Typical military fashion. We got some pretty cool gear. Mostly stuff I probably wont use but cool nonetheless. The one piece of gear that was not cool, was the rifle they gave us. Big oafy M16's. Don't get me wrong its a good weapon, but for a law and order det, we really need something more compact like an M4. I used both in the past and prefer the M4 for any situation, but for what we're going to be doing, the M4 is what we need. Not mention the M16's we got were pretty old and beat up. A few guys got guns with crooked or no front sights (sights are what you use to aim; for those who are lost).

I also want to address our attire overall. We look like soup sandwiches. It's bad enough we're Sailors living in Army country, doing an Army job and trying to fit in, but the least they could do is hook us up with matching gear. I currently have gear in 3 different types of camo. Army Digital camo, Navy Woodland camo, and Navy Desert camo. It really looks horrible. Now I'm the exception with 3 different types since I haven't received my desert camo yet, but everyone else has two types, and it doesn't look much better. The keep telling us "One Team, One Fight", why not one uniform? I'm not saying all together, but for situations like this, they should put us in Army digital. Much like a Navy Corpsman stationed with a marine unit. Navy insignias on a marine uniform. They've been doing it for years and it's worked out quite well.

The last bit I wanted to talk about is how when I went to the shower Sunday night, I accidentally left my shampoo and soap on the sink. Which I admit was a mistake on my part. I didn't notice until Monday night after I worked out when I went to take a shower. I asked around, everyone saw it down there, but no one knows what happened to it. So either they threw it away or someone kept it for themselves. Apparently it sat there for over 12 hours. There is only 20 of us here. You're telling me not a single person could shout out if anyone was missing theirs? Anyway I had to go to bed without a shower and it didn't feel to great.

2 comments:

  1. im not sure which is worse - no shower at all, or showering in an open shower with how many other people??!?!?! eeeek

    great blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to read your blog. The pictures are great too I have to tell you that I gave the cute bear that csme with the flowers you sent to me I gave it to Aunt Maryanne in a Easter googy bag I told her it was from you she liked it and some of the goodies that she sampled.
    I hope that your luck changes for the better SOON
    I love you....Take care

    ReplyDelete