Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fly Eagles Fly.....

Happy 4th!



If you didn't already notice I was able to get a few pictures uploaded to my last two blogs so be sure to check them out.

It looks like the sandstorms here finally are done. Yesterday was the worst day yet. I was able to get a few good pictures of what it's like driving during one of these. Hopefully I'll be able to upload them soon. I talked to a few of the locals and they said said they have seen much worse sandstorms, but not continuous sandstorms for 2 weeks like this. They said it usually only lasts 2 - 3 days.

As Aunt Eileen commented on my last blog, the Eagles cheerleaders were in Kuwait the last few days. I believe they go to Iraq tomorrow. They didn't come to my base, but they did go to Camp Virginia, one of the bases I'm responsible for policing. I was off, so I caught a ride with the guys who were working the shift down there so I could get some pictures.




I ended up bumping into one of the guys who I was in that VIP training with at Ft. Lewis, and he brought me over to join him and the cheerleaders for dinner. They ate at the Army Dining Facility where we normally eat. They didn't seem impressed :) I'm sure after two days in Iraq they will be wishing they were back eating in Kuwait. There were 6 or 7 cheerleaders. They were all really nice. The majority of them were from South Jersey, so I shared a few of the jokes I've heard about South Jersey girls. They didn't find them funny, but the girls from Delco and Montgomery County did.


I asked them if they were scared about going into Iraq, and for the most part, they weren't. They were more worried about camel spiders than anything. I guess they saw that email that went around. If you saw it, it was a soldier holding this camel spider that was 2 feet long. Turns out that photo was a fake. They're actually pretty small. I flipped some boards over outside to show them one. They do chase you though. Not to attack, but for the shade. You will sometimes find them standing next to you to get some shade. If your shadow moves, they chase you to try to stay in it.

So after dinner we got some pictures, again I'll hopefully be able to upload them soon, and they went over to the USO tent to sign autographs. There were about 60 or 70 guys there waiting to get autographs. Its a real small base. There were 3 guys that came in late, very rowdy, hootin' and hollerin' ,that claimed to be from Northeast Philly. They also claimed to be proud season ticket holders of seats in the "700 section". I asked them if they meant "700 level". They said yes, but they hesitated. The guy doing the photography for the cheerleaders asked them to sing the fight song. Fail. I think they only said the last verse correctly. They made fools out of themselves. The cheerleaders were rolling their eyes at them and boos erupted from the crowd. They walked out in shame. That, unfortunately I didn't get footage of.
So all in all it was nice to talk to people from the tri-state area, and nice to see girls for the first time in awhile.

1 comment: