Monday, June 29, 2009

Shamal Winds

Still getting situated. The guys we were relieving left yesterday, so we're officially on our own. We got some ok training/turnover from them. It was only a couple of weeks, so most things we will learn by trial and error. So by the time I leave, I should be just about getting things down pat :)

I've been taking lots of pictures, but the Internet here is terrible. Low speed and and low bandwidth, so I haven't been able to load them onto the net. All of the money this country has and they don't have decent Internet. Part of the reason also is that the U.S. doesn't want to spend a ton of money on these bases because Kuwait technically owns this land. We're just leasing it, so at anytime they can ask us to leave. So as long as were in tents and trailers we can pretty much just pick up and go.

Right now Kuwait is experiencing what they call the "Shamal". The Shamal are winds that can come at any time, but mostly come in June and July. They range anywhere from 30-50mph. I think they come down from Syria, across Iraq, through Kuwait, and sometimes make it down to Somalia. I'm no Glenn Hurricane Schwartz, but as I understood it, that's how it goes.

The thing about these high winds, is they bring in nasty, nasty sandstorms. Like strip paint off of things sandstorms. Cant see your hand in front of your face sandstorms. They hurt. I have to wear this ski mask like thing with goggles to walk around outside in them. By the way, the showers and bathrooms are about 60 yards away from my barracks so I have to suit up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night occasionally. I have some pictures of these too, but again, can't get them to load on here, but if you google image search "Kuwait sandstorms" a few pics will pop up. One is here at my base. It looks like a scene from the movie The Mummy. It's just this huge cloud of sand and dust engulfing the base.


The other bad part about these sandstorms is that the dust and sand is so fine that it gets through closed windows and the air conditioner blows it right in. So far I've duct taped the windows and around the ac unit, and I also hung a curtain in front of the ac unit so the dust it blows in just hits the curtain and settles on the floor underneath it. Otherwise my room would be covered in sand and dust all the time.


Well that's it for today, and again, hopefully I'll get back in the groove and get these up more regularly and hopefully I can figure out a way to get these pictures up.

1 comment:

  1. Reading these makes me feel so good- and then I cry. I am so glad to hear about your days- Thank u!! Hey- I saw on tv yesterday that the Eagles Cheerleaders are heading your way. Look out for them. They said they are hitting Iraq and Kuwait:)
    Love ya
    i

    ReplyDelete