Thursday, May 7, 2009

Up your nose with a rubber hose...

Sorry the blog has gotten a little sporadic. I didn't think we'd be getting this much training. The last week or so we've been having class till around 10pm. Hopefully everyone didn't give up on checking this thing since I've been slacking.






Anyway, for those of you who have been following from day 1, I'm sure you have been anxiously awaiting the day when I announce that I had that hose shoved up my nose and the IV put in. Well those days came. Unfortunately, I didn't bring a camera, but the guy I partnered up did, so I got a little video of me doing this stuff to him.




I took it heckuva lot further and better then this guy, but not quite as good as the instructor. It wasn't painful per say, more discomfort I guess. Definitely can't compare it to any other feeling. And the IV:




I know me putting in the IV looked pretty bad, but I was nervous. I was so afraid I was going to hurt this guy, so I wouldn't make a move until I was absolutely positive it was the right one. The instructor took this as I didn't know what I was doing. My partner was crying the whole time I was working on him which didn't help. I should've expected that after the nasal thing. Anywho, when he did it on me, he really did a great job. I didn't cry like a girl like he did though. Apparently I'm a squirter though. I didn't watch, but I heard some gasps as he was inserting it and felt a warm liquid on my arm. Absolutely no pain though. If you noticed, at the end of the video he said you're gonna do this again tomorrow. I did.....

The next day we put all of this together like the other trainings. I wish I had footage of it. It was pouring rain, we were in full battle gear. Explosives and gunfire (fireworks) were going off and we had to rescue people. Some of the victims were guys I'm training with, some were actors. It was pretty stressful. We had to treat the victims, request a medevac, and then transport them to a helicopter. It was pretty good training. As I mentioned I had to insert the IV again today since I took so long the day before. So not only was I not the best at it as it was, I now had to do it with the weather and all of the stuff going on. It ended up going fairly well though. The course is called Combat Lifesaver by the way if I hadn't already mentioned it. 16 more days till I'm back home for a little bit....

1 comment:

  1. i think i just got sick to my stomach after them two videos.

    ReplyDelete