Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day

Hope everyone enjoyed their Labor Day. For most, the holiday is a day of rest, reflection and relaxation. Maybe a BBQ or some housework they've been putting off. The Army, on the other hand, thinks Labor Day is the perfect time to add another 5k "fun run" to this weeks schedule. Now that I've been here for a few months I'm beginning to see a pattern that the Army thinks that's the best way to celebrate all holidays. For example, 9/11 is coming up, and to recognize the day, they've scheduled a 5k. So that's 3 for the week. We all know how much I enjoy these runs. In October they are planning a 10 mile run. I am really dreading that. It's gonna be tough to control traffic for that.

Also happening this week, I got a new supervisor. Our old one got a new job and was transferred to another base. The new one is coming from Camp Arifjan. He was in the training with Ft. Lewis with me, but I don't know much about him, or how he likes to run things. Hopefully he doesn't come in and make too many changes. From past experience, I've seen new leaders come in and make a drastic change to cement their place as the person in charge.

At the end of last week, I called all of the guys from the night shift in so I could hold an intervention of sorts. First because, we have had some deficiencies as of late, and second because the change in the chain of command. The deficiencies, while all minor, were occurring too often. Little things like being consistently late to work, not properly filling out paperwork, losing equipment, and just an overall lack of effort. So, I just got everyone together to try to get their heads out of the clouds and back into the game. My fear is that if others in the organization start to see a trend in these deficiencies, they will begin to micro manage the shift. That is the last thing I want, and most certainly the last thing the junior guys want because as we know, "it" rolls downhill. It seemed that everyone agreed that we need to put forth a better effort, and look out for each other. So hopefully the meeting worked and I don't have to turn into a dictator to get things done around here. But if I have to, to keep the brass off my back, and accomplish the mission then so be it.

PS: It's still hot during the day here, todays high was 115, but man, the nights sure have cooled off. Good thing I'm sleeping during the hot stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment